Done testing random roofing nailers to nail your home roof? Time to switch to the best roofing nailer you can find on the market. It’s not a random choice that you can make. As you will be spending your money, you need to buy a roofing nailer that can fulfill your expectations. Otherwise, it’s just lousy spending of your money.
But in today’s market, finding the one roofing nailer that’s best for you is harder than ever. Because all the companies are competing with each other to create the perfect device for you. However, not all of them are the best.
That’s why in this article, we will discuss the 6 best nailers to use for roofing. After reading this whole review, you can make your choice easily.
In this way, you can get the best out of the money you will spend. Better to judge before buying. Else the tool will not be of any use.
List of our Favorite Picks of 2021
Title & Features
#1. Hitachi NV45AB2 Coil Roofing Nailer (Side Load)
Hitachi is Lightweight and durable Coil Roofing Nailer. It has a feature with a high-capacity side load magazine, durable construction, depth of drive, and more.
#2. BOSTITCH RN46 Coil Roofing Nailer
Dragging it 75-miles across asphalt shingles in its testing labs. This Product special for a work surface; skid-resistant pads; an adjustable-depth dial; and a tool-less shingle guide and an over molded rubber grip.
#3. WEN 61782 Pneumatic Coil Roofing Nailer with Carrying Case
If you're on a budget then the 61782 from WEN is the best choice for you. It's an extreme and lower cost option that has dignified reviews. It has special features that are large magazines, a variety of nail sizes.
#4. MAX CN445R2 SuperRoofer Roofing Nailer
This equates to a smaller amount of time spent cleaning the tool. MAX CN445R2 SuperRoofer Roofing Nailer comes with high magazine capacity and more productivity.
#5. Senco Roof Pro 3D0101N 455XP Roofing Nailer
Senco roofpro 455xp fastest coil roofing nailer is highly durable. It has an awesome feature which is the 360-degree adjustable exhaust. It comes with Grips very well with the strains and has amazing ergonomics.
#6. PORTER-CABLE RN175B Roofing Nailer
PORTER-CABLE RN175B 15 Degree Coil Roofing Nailer comes with high nail capacity, and single sequential and contacts firing modes. More special features are resists jams, loads easily and swiftly.
#7. DEWALT DW45RN Pneumatic Coil Roofing Nailer
DEWALT DW45RN hydraulic-powered Pneumatic Coil Roofing Nailer comes with a high-speed valve that drives more than ten nails per second, high lifetime engine and feed system for long life.
Top 8 Best Roofing Nailers Reviews
1. Hitachi NV45AB2 – Roofing Pneumatic Nailer
Hitachi power tools are famous for providing the best quality products for professional and personal usage. One of the best they can offer for the best roofing is the Hitachi NV45AB2. You can call it the best in a class coil nail gun.
The Hitachi NV45AB2, Roofing Pneumatic Nailer drives wire collated nails from the 70s to one and three-quarter inches in length. It is the ideal pneumatic roofing nailer for construction work such as the installation of roofing shingles.
As a reviewer, it’s our duty to talk to people about their product usage, likes, and dislikes. According to our research on this one, people have been utterly positive.
Hitachi roofing nailer drives wire collated nails from the 70s to one and three-quarter inches in length this coil roofing nail. It is the ideal pneumatic tool for construction work.
Hitachi roofing gun has a measurement of 6.3 x 13 x 13.4 inches and weighs about 7.32 pounds. That’s a very standard size and weight. Most of the highest quality air-powered nailers are of the same size and weight. Also, the air-powered motor can give a high kick for nailing to perfection.
- High capacity magazine: This gun has a magazine that can hold up to 120 nails within the size of 7/8 inches to 1.75 inches. The perfect nail size for roofing. So, after loading one magazine, if you’re roof size is preferable you can even finish the whole roof with just one clip.
- Quick driving: The gun is driven with a technology called quick driving that enables the gun to switch to a mode that whenever its nose hits the surface it will nail. It’s a very efficient method to nail large surfaces if the roof.
- Versatility: The nail size that the gun can hold is proof of its versatility. You can use all the nail sizes for roofing and the smaller sizes nail for other interior works like framing a door, repairing or making a window, installing a wooden cabinet, etc.
- Full metal body
- Very durable
- Very versatile
- Quick drive technology
- Big magazine capacity
- Can be used professionally
- Is a very long-lasting device
- Some roofs require larger nails that it doesn’t support
2. BOSTITCH RN46-1 – Coil Roofing Nailer
If there’s only one name left that you can trust blindly to make the best electric roofing nailer, the name would be Bostitch. Bostitch roofing nail gun has been in this business for a long time and has been producing state of the art nail guns for your personal and professional use.
This Bostitch roofing nailer is one of the best in the fleet. Bostitch rn46-1 the best roofing nail gun has the great feature one. It has a trigger lockout which basically means. It will not allow me to pull the trigger. If I don’t have any rounds or I’m down to like three or four rounds in the gun. So I want to allow me to brake drivers second of all the loading sequences on the gun.
Ever since I can remember this roofing nail has been out. It is the BOSTITCH coil roofing nailer the magnesium before this. They did have an old dinosaur Bostitch now. It was called the Ridge Runner. Undoubtedly BOSTITCH fastener is much stronger than the Milwaukee roofing nailer.
5.8 pounds is really lightweight. If 7 pounds is the standard size, 5.8 pounds is obviously lightweight. It feels lighter than other nail guns. The motor is air powered. The base materials of the nail gun are plastic and steel. The plastic exterior makes it less heavy than other steel-body nail guns.
- High-capacity and quick-load magazine: the magazine of the RN46-1 can hold 120 nails with a shank diameter of 0.120 inches and 0.75 to 1.75 inches long nails.
- Motor efficiency: The basic force of the motor is 410in/lb and it can fire 100 nails in just 1 minute. That’s really fast for any nail gun. These numbers are proof of high efficiency and fast working. Also, the aiming is very precise. You can call it an air roofing nailer.
- Durable and comfortable: Steel structure and plastic exterior make it lightweight but the material quality makes it one of the most durable nail guns in the market. And speaking of comfort, the 100 nails per minute can only be done if you’re comfortable at hand. The grip is very firm but soft to hold, ensuring the best feel in hand.
- High magazine capacity
- Very fast nailing
- Highly comfortable
- Very efficient motor
- The design is a bit rugged; not everyone will like it.
3. WEN 61782 3/4-Inch – Pneumatic Coil Roofing Nailer
Do you seek a pneumatic roofing nailer that will give you professional-level performance? Then this is the perfect one. The WEN 61782 is an experience. The people who have used this, are really grateful to themselves and others who have suggested this device. Why? Let’s find out.
This black-orange beast comes with a pitch-black case, giving it a very professional look. It weighs about 5.95 pounds. That means it’s in the lightweight range. The measurement of the gun is 5.5 x 17.5 x 16.3 inches. So, it’s really lightweight and has a very handy size that you can work peacefully with.
- High magazine capacity: holding 120 11 gauge bullets this baby can cover a whole roof with one clip only. You can’t ask for more. The preferable nail size is between 0.75 to 1.75 inches in length. So, with this one, you can easily nail your roof.
- Usability: it’s claimed as an easy-to-use nail gun for roofing. Everything is adjustable by hand and you don’t need any tools to set up. Not even if the nails get jammed.
- Accessories: it comes with a case which is filled with different accessories. A bottle of oil, three assorted hex wrenches. The case is blowing mold and the machine is a perfect fit inside. So, you can drop it a lot but nothing will happen to the device within.
- It’s very durable
- High-capacity magazine
- Can be used for various work
- Very user-friendly
- Comes with all the necessary accessories
- Available in one color combination only
4. Max CN445R2 – SuperRoofer Coil Roofing Nailer
Is tar getting in the way of perfect roof nailing? The nose of your machine isn’t resistant enough? Not to worry, because the max CN445R2 is here to give you the best resistance from tar. Max is one of the most renowned companies in the nail gun manufacturing business.
They have been here for a long time and have implemented different ideas to make their machines better than ever.
This all-metal beast is one of the heaviest on this list today. It weighs a staggering 9.73 pounds. That’s a lot. It’s 4 pounds heavier than the previous one. But don’t worry about the weight because there’s a lot packed in this 12.2 x 4.5 x 10.5 inches machine.
- Build: It’s a cap nail gun. You can call it a grip rite nail gun as well. It has a maintenance-free cap filter and a tar resisting nose that is 4 times more resistant that of its competition. So, no more slips while nailing your roof. It has a rapid-fire method that works on 100psi.
- Magazine capacity: The gun’s magazine can hold up to 120 nails at a time sizing from 0.75 to 1.75 inches. You can expect fast nailing with this device. The less your gun slips the more efficient it can be. You can work faster if your gun stays at the pinpoint. You can call it a shingle nail gun.
- Versatility: The nail size makes with workable for interior repairing and building. You can use it to fix up and make cabinets, shelves, racks, door frames, windows, etc.
- Very versatile nail size
- Durability at its best
- Highly efficient
- High magazine capacity
- Rapid-fire method
- 4 times more tar resistant
- Can be heavier to handle for some users
5. Senco Roof Pro 455XP – Cordless Roofing Nailers With Sequential Actuation Trigger
People often say that the metal red color is the most appealing of any others. If you take a look at the Senco roof pro 455XP, you’ll agree too. It has a very appealing exterior design. Among cordless roofing nailers, you can call it the Mona Lisa. Also, it has many states of the art technology inside.
Weighing exactly 5.51 pounds and measuring at 15.3 x 5.9 x 14.8 inches, it is one of the handiest battery roofing nailers in the industry. If you do it professionally it can be a roofing staple gun with a sequential actuation trigger for professional use. Owning this gun is more like a choice rather than a necessity. Why? Because it packs everything with the looks outside.
- 360° adjustable exhaust: it’s a cordless roofing nailer but it still can produce a lot of smoke. So, a 360° adjustable exhaust was a must need because you don’t want smokes coming out and clouding your face. Smokes and fumes can be quite harmful. You should wear glasses at work. The adjustable exhaust can help you to reduce the smoke.
- Tool-free adjustment: unlike other guns, you don’t need any tools to adjust this device. You can easily adjust the device with your bare hands and make the best use of it, including jammed nails. You can release jammed nails without the help of anything. Just the machine and you’re good to go.
- Warranty: most of the device pack hardly a year’s warranty. It’s kind of proof that if anything happens to the device after a year, the company is not responsible. But the Senco roof pro packs a 5 years warranty. If any manufacturing fault happens within 5 years, you’ll get an immediate free repair. To be honest, nothing happens to the device even in 5 years of professional use if you maintain it correctly.
- Lightweight device
- Very beautiful and gold design
- Packed with technology
- Tool-less adjustments.
- 5 years warranty
- Only available in red-black shade
6. PORTER-CABLE RN175B – 15 Degree Coil Roofing Nailer
The Porter-Cable roofing nailers have a reputation for delivering the highest efficiency in the matter of professional work. The gun looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. It looks like a futuristic weapon of mass destruction. It actually is a futuristic weapon but for efficient roof nailing.
It weighs about 5 pounds only. It’s the last and the least weighing device on the list. That means you can get the best of it while using it. 13.6 x 13.2 x 4.7 inches is the precise measurement if you measure it with a measuring tape. Also, it packs many other features. Let’s go through.
- Lightweight: The 5% lighter technique is implemented to make sure that you are more flexible to use the device. For roofing, you need all the flexibility you can get to make sure that the work is perfect. That’s why the lightweight feature is very important
- Nail capacity: the high nail capacity of 120 lets you finish a roof without opting for the second magazine. It’s a rigid nailer with 15 degrees 0.75 to 1.75 inches long nails. These nails are perfect for professional handyman roofing.
- Two modes: It can work seamlessly on two different modes. Restrictive and contact. In the restrictive mode, you can nail from a distance and in contact mode you have to place the gun’s nose on the surface. Both work perfectly and seamlessly. You don’t need a different set of nails as wire collated nails are perfect for restrictive nailing.
- Lightweight and flexible
- Can be used professionally
- Two different modes
- Seamless transition
- Rigid nailing
- High nail capacity
- Futuristic design
- The white color gets dirty easily. Requires frequent cleaning
The latest Dewalt DW45RN Pneumatic Roofing Nailer is engineered for professional roofers & best siding nailer with Dewalt’s parallel valve system designed to reduce recoil for high-speed roofing. It’s allowing up to 10 shots per second.
DeWalt roofing nail gun both lightweight and durable featuring a robust feed system a low-maintenance composite piston ring test-fired over 10 million times.
Dewalt DW45RN pneumatic roofing nailer of our next propagation of high-speed pneumatic construction nailers light, swift and build guaranteed. This Dewalt roofing nailer has high-speed valve technology that drives more than 10 nails per second.
Dewalt cordless roofing nailer helm the coil roofing nails from 3/4 to 1 in 3/4 inches and sinks nails to the intent with the tool-free depth of drive adjustment the unique dual load magazine. Allows you to hold nails in place when loading a new coil the canister window makes it easy to see how many nails are left and the integrated nail.
After the discussion, the better the Dewalt roofing nailer review, and I will highlight the pros and cons aspects.
- Use professionally
- Easy to use
- Use high-speed valve technology – 10 nails per second
- High lifetime engine seals and feed system
- Steel skid plates with rubber inserts
- Fixed exhaust
- Higher price than others
8. Paslode CR175C – Cordless Roofing Nailer
# Paslode CR175C is the first fuel powered cordless roofing tool.
# This cordless roofing nail gun drives two nails per second.
For More Detail: Paslode CR175C
How to Buy the Best Roofing Nailers?
1. Balance & weight
You need to be very careful about the weight and balance of the nail gun while roofing. For example, cheap roofing nail guns can be very heavy and have a defective build that slips the balance.
You don’t want your roof nailer to slip the balance and disturb the efficiency of your work. So, you need to buy the perfect nail gun that can maintain balance and has the weight that suits your hand. Usually, lightweight guns are more flexible where mid and heavyweight guns and more precise for roof nailing.
You need a gun that has the precision and also the weight is not too much to handle.
Having the perfect grip is very important. No matter how much balance and perfect weight your gun has, you need to have that gun that feels the best in hand while working on a roof.
Otherwise, you will lose your balance of work that’ll hamper efficiency. Most of the nail guns now come with rubber grips that not only let you feel great but also it will not slip from your hand.
Because the gun slips, it’ll cause damage to you and the roof. You can get hurt so have to be conscious about the grips of your roofing nailer.
Your main concern should be durability. Because of think of it as an investment. If you’re planning to use your nailer for professional use it’ll be the source of your money income.
You can’t be investing your money to buy a new nail gun whenever your gun gets damaged. So, be sure to buy a nail gun that’ll last for years. Usually, cheap guns don’t last. Consider it as an investment for the future and buy a gun that’s completely durable and will provide you service for at least 3 years.
4. Nail size compatibility
There’s a preferred nail size for roofing. You cannot use any sized nail for roofing. Because the roof sheet is usually thicker than other furniture. That’s why you need a specific size of nails. And not just nails, you need a nail gun that supports those nails.
The preferred size for roofing 0.75 to 1.75 inches. Always look for roofing nailers that support nails between these sizes. Without noticing that if you buy a nailer, it won’t be of any use to you. That’s why nail size compatibility is very important while buying a roofing nailer.
5. Nailing speed
Do you want to buy a nail gun that makes your works longer than usual? No. For professionals time is money. And if you waste time on one project too much, then it’s just a bad investment to buy that nail gun in the first place.
You have to be careful about the speed your nail gun has to offer. Roofing nailers should have at least 100 nails per minute speed. The speed actually refers to the loading speed. In this way, you can finish work pretty quick. Once you clip one nail, the next one is ready then and then. This, you can proceed easily.
6. Nail depth
Nail depth is a very important concept. Your nails have to be the best fit to penetrate through the roof that you’ll be nailing. If they don’t have the perfect depth to fit, the roof will not be fixed accordingly. The whole reason to do the roofing will fail.
So, buying a nail gun without properly judging these factors is just a bad investment. You should be careful about the nail depth. Also, some guns offer adjustable nail depth. You should buy those, you can be versatile with your nail guns then.
7. Firing mode
There are basically two firing modes of any nail gun.
- Contact mode: contact mode is also known as bump mode. It’s actually introduced to make sure that your firing speed is at the best.
- Sequential mode: sequential mode is a more decent mode but it ensures the precision of each and every nailing. The sequential mode is more efficient and saves money and time.
Some guns don’t actually have both modes. The firing mode is not always an important concept. You don’t need a specific firing mode. All you need is a perfectly balanced and fast nail gun to do the job perfectly.
8. Power source
There are three types of power sources in nail guns.
- Battery-powered: battery-powered guns actually mean that your device is cordless. You have to charge and use the device. Usually, they are not perfect for professional use.
- Pneumatic powered (air powered): pneumatic powered machines are the best for business. They are professional and they can ensure the best power.
- Fuel-driven: fuel-driven machines are powerful but they are expensive and are very costly to run. Also, they produce a lot of smoke.
The Best buy for you would be battery-powered or pneumatic powered machines. Both can work fine but fuel machines will cost you more.
9. Magazine layout and capacity
Magazine layout and capacity is an essential factor. Though the layout is not important capacity is a very important thing. Most of the good quality nail guns have at least 100 mag capacity.
Ask yourself how many nails do you need for roofing? And how many times you want to fill up the magazine? If your gun can hold almost all the needed amount of nails, you won’t require to reload the guns. You can fill once and you’re good to go for the whole roof. So, buy a gun that has 100+ mag capacity.
10. Shingle guides
A shingle guide is actually a guide that maintains the distance of each nail in the machine. The main idea of having a shingle guide is to avoid jamming of nails. Because nail jamming can be nasty and break your device mechanism.
To ensure that you may need a shingle guide. But most of the newly invented guns have quick jam release that avoids the chance of jamming and ruining the mechanism of your machine. You don’t even need any tools to free the jam.
So, if your gun doesn’t have the shingle guide make sure it has a quick jam release.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What kind of nails do you use for roofing?
Answer: Standard shank nails are used for roofing. The size is usually fixated between 0.75 inches to 1.75 inches.
2. What is a coil nail gun?
Answer: A coil nail gun is not a specific type of gun. It’s a specific type of motor. A nail gun that has a motor that has a coil inside is called a coil nail gun.
3. What is the shortest roofing nail?
Answer: A roofing nail can be as short as 1/2 inches but you should always use standard size nails. 0.75 to 1.75 inches is the standard size.
4. Can I use a finish nailer for framing?
Answer: Framing nailers are typically used for window framing and door framing. On the other hand, finish nailers are used for light interior work like furniture sets. So, it’s not suitable to use finishing nailers for framing.
5. What nail gun do you use for fencing?
Answer No specific brand but it has to have the perfect depth and nail size for fencing. You need at least a 1-inch nail size compatible gun for nailing a fence.
6. Can you use staples on the roofing felt?
Answer: Yes, you can use upholstery staple guns for tacking it down to the surface but it will not hold unless you use actual nails to tack it to the roof to make sure that it holds perfectly.
7. Why do roofing nails back out?
Answer: Usually, the main cause is temperature. As the roof is exposed to the sun, nails can increase a bit as they are metal. So, you may need to change roof nails often.
8. Which cordless nail gun is the best?
Answer: Most of the user’s experience recommends the best cordless roofing is Paslode CR175C Brand which is alternate hand nailing.
It’s not always easy to find the best product of all. But you can actually find the best if you judge all the facts properly. In this best roofing nailer review, you can choose any one of the above for personal or professional work.
But if we are to suggest one, our suggestion would be to go with the BOSTITCH RN46-1. If you compare its specs with the buying guide, you’ll surely understand why we chose this product to be the best one on this list.
If you don’t agree with our verdict, you can choose any of the above. All of them are the cream of the crop in the market.